Oh hi! Welcome! This is my first blog post ever and I’m very excited you’re here :). Start it off with a DIY, shall we? Let’s make some soap!
Last weekend, per usual I ran out of soap with none on hand. I’m very bad at preemptively buying things before they run out, so I always end up buying a not so nice soap from the closest store. And recently I saw those really cool gemstone soaps, and I thought “I should just make soap”. Surprisingly it was super easy! I was originally going to make gemstones, but for my first try I decided to stick with a regular shape soap and just play with colors. I had a lot of fun chopping up all the little pieces and mix and matching the colors. Here’s what you’re gonna need:
- Melt and Pour Soap
- Food Coloring or Soap Dyes
- Essential Oils
- Small Silicone Molds or Plastic cup
- Glass measuring cup
- Toothpicks or something to stir soap
1. Follow the directions on the soap container on how to melt. If it‘s like mine, you will be microwaving it in 30 second increments.
2. Pour melted soap into small silicone molds (or plastic cups). Add small drops of food coloring and stir with toothpick to mix. Pop them into the fridge to set for about an hour. TIP: when using these, the soap does run blue water, doesn’t turn your hands blue, but if you would prefer not to have this, I recommend using actual soap dyes.
3. Pop the soap out of the molds or if you used plastic cups, you may need to cut them out. Start chopping them into jagged shapes, this was my favorite part. A sharp knife helps.
4. Melt the white soap and add any essential oil you’d like at this point. Grab a random selection of pieces and put back into the silicone molds or plastic cup. I recommend a solo cup or something similar that you can cut away.
5. Cover the pieces with white soap and leave in fridge for 2 hours or until set. Pop them out of the molds or plastic cup away and cut into slices.
I used maybe half of the white and clear soap and it made tons! I really love how they turned out. I had some extra random pieces and clear soap so I just threw them all into a plastic cup, microwaved it for 10 seconds and now I have 2 variations of these really colorful soaps. I think next time I will experiment more with the essential oils, maybe use rose and put some rose petals in. what do you think? Comment below on what kind of soap you’d make!